The Transport Systems Catapult, Telefónica’s innovation arm Wayra UK and innogy Innovation Hub, an affiliate of German energy company innogy SE and have come together to grow innovative businesses in the UK in a new London-based programme.
“Scale-Up Hub” will focus on growing small and medium-sized businesses in areas such as future energy, urban solutions, customer experience and connected technologies. It represents a significant international investment in the UK’s rich ecosystem of technology and digital innovation which will create jobs and growth through the development of new market leaders in emerging technologies.
The businesses initially joining the Scale-up programme are developing products that include alternative personal transport in cities, a digital solution providing rapid legal advice for businesses, solutions that make existing dumb buildings smart and software that understands human behaviour across cities.
innogy Innovation Hub provides funding, mentoring and a co-creation platform for the technologies and businesses that have the potential to redefine the energy market of the future. With teams in London, Silicon Valley, Berlin and Tel Aviv, it has supported over 80 companies and created a portfolio valued at €150 million.
The programme will also feature collaboration with the Energy Systems Catapult and Future Cities Catapult in order to take full advantage of Innovate UK’s Catapult Network and provide access to a wide-ranging innovation ecosystem to help develop international and domestic business opportunities.
Annemie Ress, Managing Director for innogy Innovation Hub in the UK, said: “At the innogy
Innovation Hub we look to support businesses and technologies from across the world with the potential to shape the energy market of the future. The UK is obviously a key market for our portfolio of start-ups and we are excited to partner with Wayra to give them the mentoring and networking opportunities that will help them reach their full commercial potential in the UK and beyond.”
Transport Systems Catapult SME Director Alex Weedon said:
“We are very proud to create this exciting opportunity for the UK. innogy’s involvement with the project shows significant international confidence in the future of the UK’s innovative technology sector from a company with strong track record of developing cutting edge solutions. The programme builds on our previous success with the Intelligent Mobility Accelerator in Milton Keynes and will feature a set of transport related solutions alongside more wide-reaching innovations, to provide the best possible environment for growing businesses.”
Director of Telefónica Open Future and Wayra UK Gary Stewart said: “At Wayra, we scale start-ups. Partnering with innogy Innovation Hub is, therefore, a great fit for us, because this programme is focused on helping more mature start-ups to scale via Telefónica and innogy. I can’t wait to begin.”
The Businesses joining the programme include:
• Beerides: BeeRides has setup an efficient and user-friendly car sharing platform and earns most of its revenue by charging a commission on the rental transactions on its platform.
• Calipsa: Calipsa offers a cloud-based platform based on Deep Learning technology that offers a 50% reduction in false alarms for Monitoring Stations.
• Citygo: Getting home quickly is no longer a luxury.
• DoDo: DoDo offers a same day logistics service which simplifies the life of both customers and companies by providing a marketplace for new business opportunities.
• Enerbrain: Enerbrain makes dumb buildings smart. Improve the financial productivity and comfort of your buildings without modifying any of your existing systems.
• EVezy: All-inclusive EV subscriptions on a rolling monthly contract.
• Humanising Autonomy: Humanising Autonomy improves safety and efficiency of autonomous mobility systems through better understanding of human behaviour across cities.
• HUMN.ai: By-the-minute insurance for rideshare drivers.
• Indoorway: Indoorway brings transparency and operational savings to buildings owners through precise movement analytics and powerful API.
• Libryo: Libryo is a web-based, context specific tool that enables users at any organisation to know the applicable legal obligations they face in any situation.
• Omniflow: Smart energy platform powered by wind and solar with integrated energy storage for IoT applications.
• Placense: Placense‘s data analytics solution, ‘vectorsense’, provides real-time metrics.
• Shine.eco: Shine creates the future of people powering people. Shine’s innovative software enables customers to actively take part in the undeniable journey towards de-centralised energy production and consumption.
• Share&Charge: Share&Charge is a decentralised protocol for electric vehicle charging, transactions, and data sharing – enabling companies to offer a seamless, smart and secure charging experience